Is it possible to get rid of used hearing aids? Whether they were owned by a departed family member or you decided to update your hearing aids to something fancier like a cochlear implant, the answer is the same: your pre-owned hearing aids need to be donated instead of throwing them away.
There are several organizations that collect and distribute used hearing aids to individuals who could really use them, and there are many people who need them. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your used hearing aid and learn how you can go about it.
Why You Should Consider Donating Your Pre-Owned Hearing Aids
- Of the overall population, around 14% have some kind of hearing loss
- 91% of adults who have loss of hearing are over the age of 50
- There is evidence of loss of hearing in 15% of school aged children
- Hearing aids would help nearly 29 million adults with hearing loss, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually make use of hearing aids
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Fewer than 30% of individuals over 70 who need hearing aids have ever had them
This is extremely troubling. Because health issues like cognitive decline, increased risk of falling, and depression have been connected to untreated hearing loss. The importance of your hearing to your overall health is backed up by new studies being released all of the time. Getting hearing aids can prevent these health issues (and in some instances even reverse them).
And hearing loss will cost the average family up to $12,000 each year which should be a really compelling point. But hearing aids can actually mitigate that cost by up to 50%.
It might not be feasible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford to buy hearing aids.
For an individual in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your pre-owned hearing aids can have an enormous effect on their financial well being, quality of life, and health. It may also cost a child the ability to go to college and make their lives better because they are unable to hear in school.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
There are lots of volunteer organizations and manufacturers who help recycle old hearing aids. Come and talk with us so we can advise you on the correct recycling choice for you. Or you can simply give us a call.